Planning on remodeling with the help of Encino kitchen renovation specialists? Before you start discussing options with professionals, it’s a good idea to write out a kitchen renovation checklist, which includes determining project budget, ensuring you have all applicable permits, and measuring the room itself. Let’s take a look at what else to add to your list:
Prep – Your Kitchen Renovation Checklist
You’ll need to do a fair amount of buying and ordering, which can include:
- Selecting appliances
- Looking at cabinet styles and countertop options
- Ordering windows, doors, sinks, molding, etc.
- Ordering light fixtures
- Signing contracts
- Ordering fans and electrical materials, such as dimmers, switches, outlets, and phone cables
- Inquiring about delivery times
- Renting a trash container
- Removing old appliances
- Cleaning the kitchen
- Shutting off electricity and water
Ensure the following occurs during your renovation, if applicable:
- Base cabinet installation
- Wall cabinet installation
- Backsplash installation
- Floor installation
- Drawer installation
- Door installation
- Sink, faucets, disposal installation
- Light fixture installation
- Water connections
- Installation of matching cabinet end panels and appliance panel covers for dishwashers and refrigerators
- Window treatment installation
- Cleaning and polishing
Questions to Ask
It’s recommended to ask yourself and your kitchen contractor about the following:
- Recessed or can lighting?
- Dimmable lighting?
- What kind of light fixtures? I.e. chandelier, ceiling mount, pendants, etc.
- Ceiling fan?
- Under-cabinet lighting?
- Halogen, fluorescent, incandescent, or xenon?
- How many outlets?
- Any three-way switches?
- Does the plumbing require relocation or an upgrade?
- How many sink faucets?
- Sprayer for sink?
- Cooktop or range with oven?
- Gas or electric?
- Custom or modular cabinets?
- How many knobs on the cabinets?
- Use of tile? If so, where?
- Material for countertops?
- Backsplash material?
- Flooring material?
- New windows and doors?
- Wall finish?
Remember to think critically about what you’d like to change in your kitchen, and if there’s any features you wish to keep. Determine what areas should be smaller or larger, and talk to friends, family, and neighbors about their remodeling experiences. Remodeling is also a good time to pinpoint high-traffic or cluttered areas of your kitchen, which will help you make better use of the space.